Re: Use one tablespace in two databases???

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:46:31 GMT

On 19 Jun 2002 04:31:04 -0700, sigdock_at_hotmail.com (Sig Dock) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>is it possible to use one tablespace in two databases at the same
>time?? Here is my situation:
>
>I've created a tablespace REPD in a databse PRD1, located on a Sun
>Fire 280 server. I want to use the same tablespace from a second
>database, PRD2, located on another server. The second server can mount
>the filesystem from the first server in read-only mode which is
>sufficient for my purposes. The second database will only launch
>queries on the REPD-tablespace.
>Is there any way to make the REPD-tablespace also a part of the PRD2
>database without the use of Parallel Server? We are using Oracle
>8.1.6.0, Solaris 8 and the datafiles are located on a EMC cabinet.
>Both sun servers are connected with a Gigabit fibre cable.
>Anyone with a good idea??
>
>t.i.a.
>
>Bert Jan Meinders
>Oracle DBA

Hi Bert,
The simple one :
1) Create a database link from PRD2 to PRD1. The tablespace will not be "a part of" PRD2 directly, but you can access all its segments from PRD2. The tricky one :
2) Use export/import with the TRANSPORTABLE_TABLESPACE option. There are certain restrictions on this feature (i.e. tablespace must be self-contained) and the export/import only creates a snapshot of the tablespace from PRD1 in PRD2.