Re: 8.1.7.3 and the shared pool

From: Mike Ault <mikerault_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 19 Jun 2002 04:42:03 -0700

It may be do to more and larger DBMS and UTL packages. Have you looked at a comparison of v$sgastat listings from before and after? usually shared pool sizes should range from 50-150 megabytes above the base needed for pinned code. If you get much more than this you get excssive latch thrashing and performance degrades (over about 5000 listings in V$SQLAREA which usually corresponds to over 130,000 in the underling structures.)

I would institute a temporary flush procedure and begin code fixes. I have an example procedure that I use in this type of situation. Another thing to remember about CURSOR_SHARING is it only affects SELECT, not IUD. If you do a lot of dynamic IUD activity then CURSOR_SHARING may not help.

I have a paper and some scripts on tuning the shared pool, email me if you would like it.

Mike Ault
Senior Technical Management Consultant
TUSC Consulting