Re: ORA-01562

From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: 19 Jun 2002 07:11:32 GMT

Telemachus <telemachus_at_ulysseswillreturn.net> wrote: > Was there another error message ?

I know that this is often accompanied by another message which points to the actual problem. But the message is passed through a Gupta/oracle gateway and it is filtered through the Gupta (Centura) interface. This popup window only shows this one message. And that an INSERT into table is currently being executed.

> No space on drive ? maxing out ?

Free disk space is enough. The rollback file is 10 MB (which might not be enough). Could creating an alternate (larger) RBS file be a solution and then switching to this file? Would anything get lost (the transactions that are stored in the old RBS file?)

> y"Christoph Kukulies" <kuku_at_accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message

>> During an update of a database which is being done by
>> issueing a lot of SQL statements like drop table / create table
>> followed by insert statements the ominuous ORA-01562 error occurs:
>>
>> ORA-01562 failed to extend rollback segment number xxx
>>
>> I tried to find something in the online documentation but I didn't
>> find anything pointing me to an immediate cure of the problem.
>>
>> I read about shrinking (but not increasing) a rollback segment.
>> Also about taking a rollback segment offline. I found
>> an explanation of the error like this:
>>
>> ORA-01562 failed to extend rollback segment number string
>>
>> Cause: Failure occurred when trying to extend rollback segment.
>>
>> Action: This is normally followed by another error message that caused
> the failure. You may take the rollback segment offline to perform
> maintenance. Use SELECT

>> SEGMENT_NAME FROM DBA_ROLLBACK_SEGS WHERE SEGMENT_ID=string (where
> string is the segment number from the message) to determine the rollback

>> segment name. Then use the ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT OFFLINE command to
> take the rollback segment offline.

>> All this doesn't bring me any further. I need some help.

Thanks for helping.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies_at_rwth-aachen.de