Re: Oracle comparison

From: Generic Poster <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: 18 Jun 2002 23:19:30 GMT

"Vladimir M. Zakharychev" wrote:

> > We felt that MySQL was reliable, performed well (especially speed) and
> > had good platform/OS independence.
>
> Tanstaafl...
>
> It is fast until you start to do concurrent updates and queries - then it'll
> grind to halt at some point, as with all databases featuring lock-based
> concurrency control mechanisms.

Thx. Excellent answer.

 It this sense, MS Access db is no worse
> than mySQL, and you can run it for free (you have free Jet engine and
> even MSDE, which is a cut-down personal SQLServer, if need be) except
> that it's from Microsoft, which you seem to rule out just because it's
> Microsoft and not for any technical reasons.

Nope. We simply feel that in general, MS solutions offer no advantage over the competition, and have considerable downside. We have spent a tremendous amount of time researching this matter (100's of hours) and I really do want to go round and round with it again. There is no compelling *need* to go MS, and a lot of downside, so why in the hell should we recommend it. MS is totally destructive to the whole IT industry anyway, worldwide, and there is just no need to perpetuate this malignancy.

Furthermore, we feel that Access is a toy, it's insecure, it's slow, it's unstable, it locks you into proprietary tech, it has a million bugs. I just think that database is a joke. An 8-yr old Foxbase runs circles around it.

Furthermore, we do not "rule out" MS solutions, we just don't recommend em. We got through doing some ASP coding. The client wants the MS solution, if we can deliver it, they get it. With a smile. :)

> So far, I didn't see more concurrent database than Oracle.

Thx.

 This alone
> makes it very good choice for web applications.

Thx.
 Add to it complex
> server-side programming language (PL/SQL) not found anywhere else
> (and nothing close to it in functionality),

Interesting. Thx.

 plus server-side Java2 (if need
> be)

Superiority of Oracle's Java? Don't other db's have Java?

and wide choice of built-in utility packages

I see. Add-on's, plug-in's.....

Thx.

 just
> because you can keep your business logic close to your data and build
> any interface to it (or any number of) easily.

You cannot do this with other db's also? Or not as well?

Thx. Excellent response. Received on Tue Jun 18 2002 - 18:19:30 CDT