windows2000 Oracle 817 behind firewall

From: Svend Jensen <Svend_at_OracleCare.Com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:30:27 +0200

Senario: The IAS (client in this case) must connect to dedicated (not MTS) database hidden behind firewall(s). The firewall(s) allows tcp connections on say port 80 (http), 443 (https) and 1521 (sql*net/listener).
The initial connection is established, autorisation is granted and the connection is redirected to some random port (> 1000) ie. 1610, 2843 The firewall perhibits successfull redirection and the client ses this as ora-3113 end of communication channel or the something alike.

The cure (metalink) is to set USE_SHARED_SOCKET in system enviroment/registry. But this doesnt work, random port asignment is still in force. This is due to using socket 1.1 according to Support, and we must use socket 2.0.
Windows resource kit says both socket 1.1 and 2.0 is installed and the named files are physical there, but apparently not used.

A less nice solution is to use MTS and connection manager (cman), if it works(!?!), but I would rather stick with dedicated mode.

Anybody cracked this nut(case)?

Svend Jensen Received on Tue Jun 18 2002 - 15:30:27 CDT