Re: Q:Is it allowed to change maxbytes in table dba_data_files

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 20:10:42 +0100

"Oracle User" <spamspamspam_at_ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:VBsP8.25376$gm5.4779883_at_news11-gui.server.ntli.net...

> > Hopefully in the future you will try to find the answer before asking
> someone
> > else to look it up for you.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan
> >

> The snobbery practiced in this newsgroup stinks...
>
> a) The author did try to look it up, read his post more carefully.

He says he did., but see below.

> b) He did not ask you to look it up for him.
>
> Perhaps it is yourself that should have a closer look at things before
> jumping in with chiding remarks...

So lets recap. We shouldn't point users to the documentation when the answer to the question is there and we shouldn't anyway look up answers for posters. not entirely helpful.

For what its worth a search of the 817 documentation with the key phrase resize and datafile yields exactly the answer the poster was looking for. Equally if search is a wee bit tricky the administrators guide has a handy chapter with the obscure heading "managing datafiles". So yes daniel might have been a bit abrupt but only because he got in there first. the question surely betrays either an inability to search or an inability to read the documentation.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA