Re: Oracle comparison

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:59:08 GMT

Generic Poster wrote:

> Hello, at the risk of flamebait, I would like to ask you to comment on
> how or why you think Oracle compares favorably with other db products,
> both commercial and free. We do web development, and were recently
> contacted by a client who wants us to design a db for him on the web,
> which would be like a data warehouse for, say, up to 100 little
> webstores. We do not know a tremendous amount about the db field,
> though we can make them just fine. We recommended at first MySQL, then
> decided on PostgreSQL. The question also came up whether a commercial
> db would be the answer. We felt that at less than 4 TB, open source
> would do well but that more than that, commercial might be the way to
> go.
>
> So, feel free to comment, knock the competition, point me to some
> webpages, whatever....

I guess it sort of depends on a lot of factors. Things like:

  1. Stability
  2. Security
  3. Performance
  4. Need for advanced features
  5. Need for support
  6. Need for educational materials to support future development and maintenance
  7. Concerns about whether the vendor will still be in business in five years

Quite frankly I am very bothered by the thought that you, and your company, would consider using a complex product of which you appear to know little and expect to create anything but a complete disaster. How can you, in good conscience, think you could possibly create a good product in Oracle? Do you understand multiversioning? Do you understand Oracle's transaction and locking models?

Given that the likely outcome of this is that you will just make a huge and expensive mess ... let me suggest Microsoft SQL Server to you as an excellent choice.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Jun 18 2002 - 09:59:08 CDT