Re: Create User

From: Tom Swier <tswier_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Jun 2002 03:57:06 -0700

Before you do anything, read the Oracle documentation and set up your own roles. It will give you the reasoning behind setting up roles, how to do it and what privileges to assign to the roles. Using roles is the only way to go if you have more than just a few users. I also agree with Mr. Rogers about the use of the CONNECT role for 2 reasons:

  1. It is a potential security breach because of some of the privileges it grants.
  2. In Oracle's own words "...roles are provided to maintain compatibility with previous versions of Oracle and may not be created automatically in future versions of Oracle. Oracle Corporation recommends that you design your own roles for database security, rather than relying on these roles."

I have no problem with the posters here giving you the syntax for creating users since that was your request, but 30 minutes spent reading the documentation will make you feel a lot more comfortable about what you are doing.

Tom Swier Received on Tue Jun 18 2002 - 05:57:06 CDT