Re: Looking for articles and scripts by Howard Rogers

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:20:54 +1000

"Cecil D'Souza" <cecildsouza_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:8WxP8.267004$%y.22968792_at_bin4.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com...

> "Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message

DBA

> > > I don't work that way. It is Howard's material and I wouldn't presume
> > > do it without his Ok.
> > >
> > > Daniel Morgan
> > >

> > Thanks for the thoughts, Daniel. But of course, the problem is that they
> are
> > *not* technically my materials any more. So if someone decides to copy
> them,
> > that's between them and Oracle. I tried to persuade the woman running
> > lydian_third at geocities to take her copies down, but half a dozen
emails
> > later, and still no joy, so I decided I couldn't really give a damn any
> > more.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
>
> Hello Howard,
>
> My apologies if I have offended you in any way when I put out a request
for
> some articles of yours. While I did agree with Daniel's view about
> permission, I assumed that when you had your site up, it was open to
people
> and they availed of your intelligence and your good will. May be, I am
wrong
> because I joined this group lately and kind of picked up your name from
> people writing in about your site being down.

Heavens, no! I'm not offended. Sorry if there's any confusion. Let me re-iterate and hopefully clarify. Oracle claimed ownership of the material, therefore the material is theirs and not mine. Therefore if anyone wants to copy them, go right ahead. The fight will be between Oracle Corporation and the copyist, not me.

> I'd also like to mention to you that if your name was never mentioned, I'd
> never have known and hence never have asked. It's no big deal if I did not
> have it because life still goes on and we still strive to move ahead
despite
> all the pitfalls. Also, I consider myself a honest person and my intention
> was to learn and not to trade with it like some might do. The very fact
that
> some people have copies of your material is in itself a crime, if they
think
> that only they should have it and my having it is a sacrilege. I find that
> rather intriguing if not SELFISH. Yeah!, people like to portray themselves
> as people who never have to go for confession because their conscience is
so
> clear. I'm proud about mine because I asked.

It's flattering that you (and about two hundred others via email) have asked. All I can say is, there are copies out there (www.geocities.com/lydian_third springs to mind as one particularly complete one, though even it is not perfect). I don't endorse the copying, but I don't dis-endorse it, either. What they are copying is no longer technically mine, so I don't care about it one way or another.

I hope you can find a copy somewhere and that it is helpful.

Thanks for the kind comments, too.

Regards
HJR