Re: recovery without control file and online redo log

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:06:17 +1000

"xueyang" <xueyangy_at_singnet.com.sg> wrote in message news:aem9j7$nib$1_at_coco.singnet.com.sg...
> Hi,
>
> I backuped our production db( all the dbf files), but i didn't backup the
> control file and online redo log. this db is running under noarchivelog
> mode.
> Now i try to restore this db on another server with this version of
> backup(all the dbf files , no control file and redo log file), and i met
> some problem.
> I can't startup the db due to no control file. when i tried to create
> control file, it told me no redo log file.
> Anyone has any idea about this? thanks in advance.

Yup. My fatuous idea is that you should read up a bit on backup and recovery principles. For example, because you are not running in archivelog mode, you are doing closed database backups (I hope). When the database is closed it is perfectly permissible to backup the online redo logs (because they are now actually offline and as cold as an iceberg without a woolly jumper). It is also, as a matter of practical neccessity, almost mandatory to backup the control file.

That said, you said you tried to create a new controlfile, which presumably means you know how to do an 'alter database backup controlfile to trace' and have therefore got a 'create controlfile' script.

Make a slight amendment to that script: on the top line, where it says 'create controlfile... noresetlogs', change it to read 'resetlogs'.

Lower down (near the end), there's a line that says 'recover database' followed by 'alter database open'. Change that last line to 'alter database open resetlogs'. Now run the script as per usual, and the resetlogs will cause all the redo logs specified in the bulk of the script to be *created* for you.

Regards
HJR