Re: Oracle 8i - Create database by non product owner (e.g. oracle)

From: Imprecise <f_puhan_at_precise.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:51:31 -0400

In article <e3b3b67b.0206171837.25df169b_at_posting.google.com>,  earthy_at_hkicable.com (Frankie Li) wrote:

> In fact, we experience a situation that we will need to have two
> seperate database for different projects within a single server. Since
> we don't want these database owned by single user a/c, we are
> exploring the way to create database by different users (but we only
> want to have one set of Oracle binaries).

Please explain why you don't want *files* owned by a specific user. Because that's what it appears you are asking for.

Oracle (the account you used to install the product) "owns" the binaries, data files, scripts, libraries, etc. The oracle account is typically a member of the dba group. Group members, then, have access to Oracle (the product)'s programs and database.

Once the *files* are created, access to it is controlled through the users who are created internal to the instance. Granting access to one database instance does NOT automatically grant access to another. Each is, for all intents and purposes, a separate entity.

--
The underscore character does not belong in my address. You know the drill...
***