Re: Oracle 8i - Create database by non product owner (e.g. oracle)

From: Frankie Li <earthy_at_hkicable.com>
Date: 17 Jun 2002 19:37:08 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<qm5sgu82e689os3sgte1gq2lngid2kg4a7_at_4ax.com>...
> On 17 Jun 2002 03:09:38 -0700, earthy_at_hkicable.com (Frankie Li) wrote:
>

> Yeah 'some errors'. Do you think the group can guess what they are
>
> Regards
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Well, I apologize for not stating the problem clearly. But at first I only want to know if it is possible and practical to create database which owned by other users. I guess your reply is saying "Yes" to my question.

In fact, we experience a situation that we will need to have two seperate database for different projects within a single server. Since we don't want these database owned by single user a/c, we are exploring the way to create database by different users (but we only want to have one set of Oracle binaries).

When I create the database through dbassist, I was prompted for File Permission deny. Okay, I go and chmod these directory so that at least oratest can write/create files inside. But then a "ORA-01034 ORACLE not available" error is prompted.

Since there are so many errors and 'customization' to do, I have a feeling that it is not supposed to create databases which owned by others.

Please correct if I am wrong.

Thank you so much,

Earthy Received on Mon Jun 17 2002 - 21:37:08 CDT