Re: Q:Is it allowed to change maxbytes in table dba_data_files

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:13:50 +1000

Ralf:

You try and modify any of the dba* views with DML statements, and you'll be in deepest doo-doo quicker than you can say "Damn!".

Don't do it.

The command you want is:

ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE 'D:\ORACLE\ORA92\DB9\BLAH01.DBF' AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 10M MAXSIZE 2000M; You'll find that sets dba_data_files correctly for you, replacing whatever the old settings may have been. However, I would strongly advise not to use autoextend unless you are not managing the database pro-actively and full-time, as it impacts upon performance at the most inopportune time (ie, just when a user is trying to perform a transaction).

Regards
HJR "Ralf Bender" <ralf.bender_at_nexgo.de> wrote in message news:20020617.20392806_at_mis.configured.host... Hi ALL,

we are running Oracle 8.1.7 on SuSE Linux. Some of the datafiles in some tablespaces was created with autoextend on and no maxsize set. So Oracle write a MAXSIZE of 34GB. Linux runs with ext2 and the limit of filesize is 2GB. Sometimes, if nobody looks at databasefiles (ok, no comment please), they growing up over 2 GB and crashs the tablespace. The only way out is to recreate the whole tablespace from existing export. So, is it possible simply to change the maxbytes value for each databasefile in dba_data_files to the maximum of Linux? Nothing else to do? Must Stop/Start the whole database? Has someone expierence with that workaround? I can't find something in FAQ or documentation. If so,this would help us to work with. Also if the filessize of 2GB reached. Always better than overrun the maxium filessize of Linux and to recreate the whole tablespace. Ok, I know that is possible to set autoextend off, but the other way would help us more than doing this...and of course in future create databasefiles with the maxsize of 2 GB.

Thanks a lot for helping
Ralf Received on Mon Jun 17 2002 - 18:13:50 CDT