Re: (9i) Logical standby database

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:16:01 -0600

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> "Daniel" <wiechczd_at_poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > 9i introduce new possibilities in ensuring of database availability
> > - logical standby database, where the updates are made using SQL
> statements
> > regenerated from logged changes to the primary database
> >
> > Question is - is it posible to implement a environoment (2 separate sites)
> > where the logical standby database resides on different OS (f.ex. Windows
> > 2000) platform than the production database (primary)
> > - UNIX.
> >
> > Please help, it's very important..
> > Thanks in Advance
> > Daniel
> >

> That is already possible in Oracle 8i with the standby database feature.
> Obviously you will need the Enterprise Edition. By this I mean that
> homegrown scripts, pumping over the redologs, are not going to work. The key
> to this all is net8.

Sorry, but this is incorrect. In Oracle 8i the standby database and the primary database had to be the same OS version and release. See:

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76995/standbyc.htm#30105

As for 9i Logical Standby Database, see:

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/release2/server.920/a96653/standbycon.htm#1015391

For 9iR2, the requirements are relaxed slightly, but you still must run the same type of the OS.

Regards,
Sean M Received on Mon Jun 17 2002 - 17:16:01 CDT