Re: Multischema functionality

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:22:24 GMT

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:27:08 +0200, "John van Kaam" <john.v.kaam_at_adp.nl> wrote:

>> > John
>>
>> Sounds like a marketing buzzword that I'd love to have on my resume. If
>> you explain me what are the "Multischema Databases" and what kind of black
>> magic is that supposed to be, I could probably give you at least a half
>> way decent answer. This way, it sounds like something that turns milk sour
>> and does bad things to lambs.
>>
>> --
>> Mladen Gogala
>> In God We Trust.
>> All others must provide data.
>
>Mladen,
>
>Sorry I don't make up the buzzwords but it is actual Oracle functionality
>found in Oracle rdb. See the following link for some more info. (Couldn't
>find a decent Oracle site..)
>
>http://www.kuzbass.ru/docs/rdb702/oraclerdb/gddd7/dg_multi.htm#527
>
>What it comes down to is that you have more schemas in one instance (if I
>understand it correctly).
>I can't find this functionality in Oracle on Windows platform. (Not that I
>want it but that's something else)
>
>John

Unless I'm missing something . . .

Having looked at the doc you pointed to, it sounds like a schema in Rdb is the same as a schema in Oracle (and is called a "database" in MS SQL-Sever). It is simply the collection of all objects owned by a particular userid. Yes, that functionality exists in Oracle on all platforms. It just doesn't require any special considerations at the database or catalog level.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)