Re: Got the darn buffer busy waits under control, at last! (for R. Sanchez)

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:03:19 +0100

Interesting to note that this Statspack extract has a much higher redo size than the other one, and a very much higher number of
buffer busy waits - which could be cause and effect I doubt if you are going to be able to resurrect a sufficiently large chain of stats outputs that prove that the _spin_count
change was definitely the critical factor. (And if you did, I'd only duck out of reading them all anyway).

One of the reasons I view statspack with extreme caution is that it is still only taking a large-scale average of statistics. It took me about 15 minutes yesterday to come up with a couple of bits of code which individually are catastrophic, but result in statspack reporting near-perfect database behaviour when they run in combination.

One of the nicer things about statspack, though is that if you run off the report for every adjacent pair of intervals, you can grep for (say) "buffer busy wait" and "redo size" from all of them, and check very quickly for any correlation between results.

(The answer to the point and question below is 'yes, possibly' - remember you only have to have one sluggish scanner causing the BBW, and a set of concurrent scanners could ALL end up reporting 'the same' BBW at the same time. I think in 8.0.6 you might get an interesting result if you try running the following script from just three concurrent processes:

    select * from source$ where length (source) = -1;
    select * from source$ where length (source) = -1;
    select * from source$ where length (source) = -1;
    select * from source$ where length (source) = -1;
    select * from source$ where length (source) = -1;
    select * from source$ where length (source) = -1;
    select * from source$ where length (source) = -1;

I think you should find a reasonable number of BBWs appear quite readily. For some reason, the result is not so nasty in 8.1.7).

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminars