Re: Oracle 9i R 2 for Linux - suse 7.1

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 03:02:49 -0400

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002 08:45:07 -0400, Liggs wrote:

> Okay,
>
> Everything seems to install fine from the ./runInstaller script.
>
> But after I actually select the full server install, it starts sorting
> out what its going to install and dies just about when its dealing with
> the jre stuff. This is strange as the jre stuff must be working as the
> installer uses it.
>
> Suse 7.1 doesn't seem to be certified/tested for R2. Any ideas?
>
> Alun
>
> PS I've sucessfully installed the 9.01 version on the same machine and
> have since completely blatted it when I started to have the 9iR2 install
> problems (removed product home + oraInventory oraloc oratab etc).

This suggestion may sound outrageous, but switch to RH 7.3. I am running SuSE Linux 8.0 and I have a ton of complaints. SuSE 7.1 is old and god knows what patches you have to get in order to make it work. SuSE support is not very helpful and they'll simply tell you to buy an upgrade for SuSE 8.0. I know that I intend to switch to 7.3 for Thanksgiving. The suggestion sounds outrageous, but I know that RH's help desk is much better, all the software is available for RH and you can find things on the independent search engines like rpmfind.net. Not so with SuSE.

--
Mladen Gogala
In God We Trust.