Re: newbie : BIND VARIABLES

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 17:41:06 GMT

Bind variables are place holders in DML (eg select .. from mytable where field1:=hvField1)
Without bind variables you are forcing Oracle to serielize on a latch and you are causing earch and every statement to be reparsed.(high CPU) It will mean each sql statement will take longer. Once the statement is parced, is you use bind variables, then it does not need to be reparsed and the execution plan does not need to be redone. Jim