Re: Why PUBLIC SYNONYM is bad ?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 12:46:55 +1000

In article <3D0BFE6D.5860BDDE_at_noos.fr>, you said (and I quote):

> Our dba said that public synonym is very bad for performance and for
> security to access data.
> why ? (technical reasons please)

Another example of "rules" and "examples" taken out-of-context suddenly becoming gospel.

Public synonyms CAN be bad for performance. This doesn't mean that they ALWAYS must be. And this does NOT apply to private synonyms.

As for security, that is rubbish. Public or not, what governs access to tables pointed to by synonyms is the grant on the table. Nothing to do with the synonyms themselves.

For some good text stuff on public synonyms and their performance impact, see Steve Adam's site: www.ixora.com.au There is a section on newsletters and IIRC the synonym stuff is in one of them.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto