Re: NEW Oracle tool for maintaining storage and Reorg.

From: Boaz Laufer <lauferb_at_adit-tec.com>
Date: 15 Jun 2002 12:50:33 -0700

moldeng_at_hotmail.com (Gunnar Molden) wrote in message news:<ec8435db.0206121317.2517b5db_at_posting.google.com>...
> lauferb_at_adit-tec.com (Boaz Laufer) wrote in message news:<1bacd337.0205240438.2a8705fe_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Hello
> >
> > I want to tell you about a new professional tool called 'Space Tuner'
> > that is made for Oracle DBA's.
> > The tool is a smart tool for managing storage for Oracle Databases.
> >
> > It creates a visual map of the Tablespaces and allows to mark Tables /
> > Indexes and define operations to perform on them for example:
> > * Move to Another Tablespace.
> > * Reorg.
> > * Change the Storage parameters.
> > It's also possible to estimate the size of the database objects and
> > then perform the Reorg based on the estimated size of the objects.
> > The tool creates a SQL script to perform the operations and it's
> > possible to run it with the program or schedule it for later.
>

> In the Rebuilder-module what is the difference between these two
> methods to estimate table sizes: 'data size' and 'blocks being used'?

'Blocks being used' estimation method goes on all the blocks of the table and checks which blocks are actually being used (blocks that have one or more table-rows in them), the Estimated size than gets the value that is equal to the number of 'used' blocks found * db_block_size.

'Data size' estimation method summarizes all the size of all the table-rows and also consideres the PCT_FREE of the table. this method is more accurate if you want to know what is the EXACT size of the data in the table, but takes more time for the database to run. I once ran the 'Data size' method on a 4.5 GB table and it took 55 minutes.

Regards,
Boaz. Received on Sat Jun 15 2002 - 14:50:33 CDT