Re: shutdown of multiple SIDs in 8.1.7

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 21:10:14 +0200

"buck" <scheit_at_gbpackersfan.com> wrote in message news:d117167c.0206151053.29982fb_at_posting.google.com...
> I am trying to find an easier way of shutting down two databases. I
> am running 8.1.7 on AIX. I am working on a shutdown script, and my
> present plan of attack is to shut down database one, export
> $ORACLE_SID=sid_number_two, and shut down the second database. The
> issue is not how to shut down, but switching between the SIDs, and I
> can't find anything on that topic in all my reading...thanks
>
> (be kind, i've been working with oracle for a grand total of 10
> days...)

Oracle comes with the dbshut and the dbstart script for this purpose in $ORACLE_HOME/bin.
You are expected to copy those (officially root.sh should do this, but I never see this happen) to you local bin directory, usually /usr/local/bin. You should also have the dbhome and the oraenv script in that directory. These issues are discussed in the installation documentation.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA