Re: Create User

From: Markus Böhmer <boehmerm_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 14:07:55 +0200

Thedevastator <member_at_dbforums.com> wrote:
> Can anyone help me creating a user from the SQLPLUS console ?
>
> create user user1 idientified by user1
>
> i know very little about oracle command line paremeters to create a
> user.. with only readonly access..
>
> ive read something about roles .. could someone give me a command line
> example so the new user has only Read/only access to all my tables ??
>
> any help appriciated
>
> thanks

Here's a little example for you.

  1. Create User

sqlplus system/damnwhatwasmysystemspassword SQL> create user thedevastator identified by whateverpasswordheshouldhave;
User created

2. Give User the right to connect to the database SQL> grant connect to thedevastator;
GRANT succeded

3. Connect as the user who owns the tables, the user thedevastator should

   be able to read
SQL> connect readmytables/mypassword
connected

4. Grant select on the tables
SQL> grant select on damntableone to thedevastator; grant succeded

5. Repeat this for alle the tables the user thedevastator should read

6. connect as user thedevastator
SQL> connect thedevastator/whateverpasswordheshouldhave connected

7. Now you can select data form the tables of user readmytables SQL> select * from readmytables.damntableone;

8. RTFM, this is a real easy thing described in the manual 9. Netiquette...what is your realname

--
Markus Boehmer
mailto:boehmerm_at_gmx.de