Re: Oracle 7.1.6 and SunOS 2.5.1 and greater

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 20:11:09 -0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On 14 Jun 2002 10:24:48 -0700, norwoodthree_at_my-deja.com (NorwoodThree)
> wrote:
>
> >Hey Hermant, you most definately dont reside in the "REAL" world
> >because anybody with any skill, knowledge, or professionalism knows
> >that running critical apps on desupported software is incompetant,
> >stupid, uneducated and irresponsible. You sure as hell would never
> >work in my organization.
>
> Amen
>
> We were just informed the particular version of Solaris 2.6,
> Suncluster 2.2, without patches, we are running on behalf of a
> customer, isn't supported anymore by Sun. The customer is running also
> Oracle 8.1.5.
> It seems the only thing supported is the monitor located on top of the
> server.
>
> We are making many outside office hours to keep the crap in the air.
> Right now colleagues are bringing the cluster down because of defunct
> processes and according to Sun the only solution is to restart the
> cluster.
> This is a 7x24 site, with 99 % uptime
>
> Regards
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

I think anyone supporting software that is no longer supported by the vendor should receive a bonus labelled as "hazardous duty pay."

The company saves a few dollars ... very few ... the employees get beaten up and abused.

I have twice walked out on opportunities because they would have forced me to work with desupported software. I just isn't worth the hassles.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jun 14 2002 - 22:11:09 CDT