Re: V$ tables

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 19:21:00 +0200

On 14 Jun 2002 05:41:15 -0700, Charlie3101_at_hotmail.com (Charlie Edwards) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would be grateful for a DBA's opinion on this ...
>Which V$ tables should be available to developers as a matter of
>course?
>
>v$process, v$session, v$lock, v$sqlarea, v$sqltext, v$locked_object,
>v$session_longops ...
>
>Any others?
>
>For that matter, is there any reason why developers should not have
>acess to ALL V$ tables in a development environment?
>
>Thanks,
>
>CE

The only reason not to do this is they are subject to change with every new release and you might hit yourself, especially if you are planning to use those views in your own pl/sql procedures, which will create a myriad of grants that are difficult to maintain. There used to be a MONITORER role that covered the most important views.
As long as you don't use v$ views where regular functionality is available now (I'm especially referring to the SYS_CONTEXT function which seems to replace direct use of v$session) I don't see any problem.
Most developers though, wouldn't know how to interpret the data.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Jun 14 2002 - 12:21:00 CDT