Troubles with dbms_application_info.set_session_longops

From: Marcel Kraupp <marcel.kraupp_at_gmx.ch>
Date: 14 Jun 2002 07:11:11 -0700

Hello

      dbms_application_info.set_session_longops doesn't behave how I expect
      it or how I interprete the documentation.

      Here's the code I have picked up somewhere:

create or replace procedure long_running_procedure as

    l_rindex pls_integer;
    l_slno pls_integer;

begin

    dbms_application_info.set_client_info( 'This is me' );     dbms_application_info.set_module( 'long_running_procedure', 'starting' );

    for i in 1 .. 30 loop

        l_rindex := dbms_application_info.set_session_longops_nohint;
        l_slno   := NULL;
        dbms_application_info.set_session_longops
        ( rindex      => l_rindex,
          slno        => l_slno,
          op_name     => 'LONG_RUNNNIG_PROCEDURE' || i,
          target      => 1000000+i,
          context     => 2000000+i,
          sofar       => i,
          totalwork   => 100,
          target_desc => 'What I''m Working On',
          units       => 'numbers 1-100' );

        dbms_lock.sleep(1);

    end loop;
end;
/
     When I start the procedure and query v$session_longops, oracle
     shows me an entry for each call that was made to set_session_longops (30
     in the end). However, I expected there to be one row only.

     Is this how it is supposed to work or is something wrong with the code?

     Also, how can I get rid of the rows in v$session_longops?

     MK