Re: dbverify, datafile corruption, Oracle 9i R2

From: Cristian Veronesi <veronesic_at_libero.it>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:02:27 +0200

Manuela Mueller wrote:

> I'm aware of dbms_repair package, but the frequence and the occurence of
> data block corruption shortly after the installation makes me uneasy. I
> have never encountered data block corruption with that frequency on
> various 8i installations I performed.

Manuela,

I don't know if this could help, but I just faced a similar problem with

   SuSE SLES7 and Oracle 9.0.1.3: dbv showed a lot of corrupted blocks everywhere! But then I discovered there was a broken DIMM and after replacing it and rerun fsck dbv showed only one block corrupted in the whole database!
So I suggest to carefully testing your hardware, expecially memory and disk, possibily using your hardware vendor utilities.

Also, as "daekw_at_yahoo.com" said, please notice that SuSE 8.0 is not certified for Oracle, and it will never be. For a production environment   you have to buy SLES7, otherwise you will have problem with the Oracle support.

Kind regards, Cristian Received on Fri Jun 14 2002 - 03:02:27 CDT