Re: Performance Monitoring strategies?

From: Ricky Sanchez <rsanchez_at_more.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 01:26:30 GMT

A common mistake with rollback segments is to have a few really large ones and then try to place long running transactions on them. The real need is to have the rollback segments preserve as much transaction history as possible. It is the exhaustion of undo history that normally "blows up", with the ubiquitous ORA-1555, right?

So, the dba needs to peek at the high water mark for the rollback segments, size accordingly and make sure the are all the same size. If you have enough of them, and they are equally sized, the database takes care of load balancing pretty nicely and the 1555 thing generally disappears.