Limit on PROCESSES in init.ora

From: Dave Kennedy <dk119_at_umail.umd.edu>
Date: 13 Jun 2002 14:15:47 -0700

I am trying to raise the number of processes on an Oracle 8.1.7 database instance to 400. I have shutdown the database, then edited init.ora changing processes to 400, and then attempted to start the database.

I receive this error:
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

And the Oracle instance will not start until I lower the number of processes in init.ora.

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on?

(Oracle is running on Solaris 7.) Received on Thu Jun 13 2002 - 16:15:47 CDT