Re: [8i] Local unique indexes on a partitionned table - Is it possible ?

From: Frederic Payant <fpayant_at_club-internet.fr>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 21:55:18 +0200

dyou98_at_aol.com (D.Y.) :

>> But if your partition key is not part of the unique
>> constraint, Oracle will have to probe every index partition to validate the
>> uniqueness. Depending on the number of partitions there could be significant
>> performance penalty on insert and update.
Thanks for your advice. I didn't test it but you're right, the checking risk to be quite long.

>> Would global index work for you?

No, I drop partitions every day ( and, even if I did it on a weekly basis my tables are too big for a rebuild of index to br acceptable.

Many thanks for your answer

Regards
Frederic PAYANT - junior DBA ;-) Received on Thu Jun 13 2002 - 14:55:18 CDT