Re: Setting init.ora parameters when running more than one DB on one machine

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:00:37 +0200

On 13 Jun 2002 07:12:15 -0700, condjp_at_chp.edu (Joe Condle) wrote:

>In my current job whe run many databases on one machine. Two
>production and many test DB's. In my previous job where I first
>learned Oracle we only had one database running alone on one machine.
>When I set up db_block_buffers and shared_pool_size I set them to 25%
>and 50% of system memory respectively. I need some suggestions on
>what to do when running more than one DB. I would like to give the
>bulk of the resources to the production DB's. I know the SGA should
>not be set any higher than 50% of the total system memory.
>I have a total 7Gig RAM. If you can point me to a good resource or
>give me a suggestion I would be appreciate it.
>
>Joe Condle
>Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh

25% and 50% is clearly *outrageous*. Oracle recommends one third for *SGA*. Have you ever checked the page fault rate of that server? It must be choking!!!!
If you have 7G RAM Oracle recommends devoting one third to all the SGA's together, so in this case about 2G. If you need more, you may question whether the applications you have were ever tuned. Most of today's developers don't know how to do that.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Jun 13 2002 - 12:00:37 CDT