Re: autoextend size vs. extent size in LMT

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:24:32 GMT

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 20:48:49 +1000, Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote:

>In article <3d075d9a.96364364_at_ausnews.austin.ibm.com>, you said (and I
>quote):
>>
>> If the file is full when another table extent is needed, will he get the
>> necessary 32k (as specified for the TABLESPACE) in one operation, or will go by
>> the 4k specified for the FILE and repeat as necessary until he has enough space
>> to satisfy the 32k?
>
>I suspect it's gonna be 4K as many as needed to get to the required
>space.
>

>> Whatever the answer, is there a way to demonstrate and verify?
>
>Try it?

That's what I'm not sure about how to do. Suppose I set up a test by creating a smallish TS, create a table in it, and insert into the table up to the point the TS is full -- one more insert will require an additional segment extent, which in turn will require a file extent. Now, I issue an INSERT statement and when it completes, the file has extended. What can I look at to tell me if Oracle did a single extent operation on the file, or multiple operations until it had enough to satisfy the segment extent.

Yes, I know it's a moot point if I make the file extent specification some large multiple of the TS segment size. But as usual, I'm having a hard time convincing my associate. Even after convincing him the file extent needed to be AT LEAST as large as the segment extent, he didn't want to go any larger than the AT LEAST . . .

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)