Re: interpreting tablespace settings

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:42:17 +0100

You typically reorg using export and import for two space management reasons.

  1. The tablespace no longer has any contiguous free space large enough for an objects next extent to fit in. (well hopefully you do it before this point !).
  2. An object has 'too many' extents.

With LMT's of UNIFORM extent size issue 1 simply canot occur. Ever. (unless the tablespace itself is full up so you just need to add a datafile).

If an object has 'too many' extents you issue 'ALTER TABLE BLAH MOVE TABLESPACE <LMT WITH LARGER EXTENT SIZES>;' and rebuild the indexes. If its an index that needs moving issue 'ALTER INDEX blah REBUILD <LMT WITH LARGER EXTENT SIZES>;' NB You might still wish to reorg a database for other reasons - consolidating tablespaces is a possibility.

Nuno has raised legitimate concerns it seems to me about the use of a bitmap for extent allocation. I haven't yet had any problems that I can recall with LMT's.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA