Re: The demise of the Oracle professional?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:06:53 +0400

Well, in this sense, almost everything relies on Windows these days, as this is the major client OS for desktops and notebooks out there, with CE eating into PDA market agressively and Windows for Pocket PC being the only choice on PPCs.... At server side we still have wide choice, but clients who actually communicate to them (being main reason for server side existence) are all mostly of Windows breed. Java as a pure tech does not rely on any particular OS, but it does rely on Windows for being wide-accepted. .NET is targeted to replace it there altogether. It's not that .NET is superior to Java2/J2EE, it's just that it's a tech from the same vendor as your OS, supposedly tightly integrated and working better than anything else from third parties. And you even get Java-like C# and (wow!) Visual Basic along with it! Well, C# has a few things you don't have in Java, native properties being the most notable (yes, you have properties in JavaBeans, but they are nearly not as natural as in C#, being more of a naming convention), and you have CLR (read, VM) here that is supposed to make your code portable to the same degree as Java...but who needs that portability if the only OS on most desktops is Windows? I doubt we'll see CLR for any other platform within next year, or even longer - they actually don't need it, claim of portability is enough. "If there's demand - we'll do CLR for other platforms, but we doubt there will be." That's it. "Ein Reich - ein Fuehrer" translated into "one world - one OS". Client-side Java is pretty much doomed. It was actually DOA right from the start when Sun failed on delivery of promised "write once - run everywhere" for GUI. We waited too long for swing which ultimately fulfills this promise - and Java missed the train of success. If they initially designed with swing in mind - they could have had a chance, but now it's just too late.