Re: interpreting tablespace settings

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:20:10 +1000

Hi Andrew,

EXTENT MANAGEMENT DICTIONARY is not a valid option in the CREATE DATABASE statement BUT it is the default behaviour. By NOT specifying EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL (which is the valid clause), you create a database with a DICTIONARY managed system tablespace.

Hope this helps

Regards

Richard
"Andrew Mobbs" <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message news:u7x*xJtqp_at_news.chiark.greenend.org.uk...
> Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote:
> >

> >I'll buy this (like you, I don't currently have space to create another
9iv2
> >database, so I'll take it on trust).
> >
> >Pretty big "default", though, even so: once SYSTEM's been created, you're
> >stuck with it until you create a new database. And create it by hand, as
> >don't see an option to create a dictionary managed SYSTEM tablespace
using
> >DBCA.
> >
> >As it is, I rather thought the 'create database' command only allowed the
> >specification of a datafile for SYSTEM... the actual creation of the
SYSTEM
> >*tablespace* is done by the first operative line of sql.bsq (as ever).
Mine
> >reads:
> >
> >create tablespace SYSTEM datafile "D_DBFN"
> > "D_DSTG" online
> >
> >...and I wouldn't know where to stick the 'extent management dictionary'
in
> >that little lot and make it work (uh oh, I feel an experiment coming
on...).

> >So I'll modify my claim somewhat: *practically* you can't create
> >dictionary-managed tablespaces in 9iv2. Not without an awful lot of
> >forethought and effort -which we agree (I think) isn't worth expending in
> >the first place!! ;-)
>
> Not even then:
>
> SQL> CREATE DATABASE reg02
> 2 MAXINSTANCES 1
> 3 MAXLOGHISTORY 1
> 4 MAXLOGFILES 5
> 5 MAXLOGMEMBERS 3
> 7 DATAFILE '/ora01/app/oracle/oradata/reg02/system01.dbf' SIZE 250M
REUSE