Re: Got the darn buffer busy waits under control, at last!

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:35:23 +0100

Upgrade to 9.2 and set statistics_level = all.

Then you get v$segstat showing you how many waits occurred on each segment.

There are a couple of other options, but I wouldn't like to try them on an 8.0.6 production system. (And it's hard to test for BBWs on a development system, and to find out the performance impact). One of these options is to use oracle_trace (see http://www.dbazine.com for an article that I wrote about this a short time ago - it's quite good, but the line where I say:
" I expect oracle_trace to replace every other   diagnostic mechanism of this type in the   next two years" is wrong. The 9.2 manual   has a line saying that oracle_trace is now   a deprecated feature ;()

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminars
        UK            June / July
        Australia      July / August

<3d076b39$0$28008$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...