Re: Oracle Myths

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:22:43 GMT

Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> I've now got my 9.2 installed - and have just enough
> space left to create a couple of database ;)
>
> You are quite right - the SYSTEM tablespace
> can be dictionary managed, and once you
> have a dictionary managed SYSTEM, you can
> create other tablespaces as dictionary managed
> as well.
>
> I think the problem is that everyone's first install
> is probably going to be through the OUI tools,
> and DBCA automatically injects the line
> EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL
> into the script to create the database.
>
> Example:
>
> create database d922
> ... bits about max instances etc.
> datafile '/u02/app/oracle/oradata/D922/system01.dbf'
> size 100M reuse
> autoextend on next 10240K maxsize unlimited
> extent management local
> default temporary tablespace temp
> .... etc.
>
> In the absence of the EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL,
> the SYSTEM tablespace is created dictionary managed.
>
> Thanks for highlighting that one - it would have been
> very easy to miss.
>
> And thanks for the comment on the book.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Jonathan Lewis
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
> Next Seminars
> UK June / July
> Australia July / August
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
>
> Vladimir Begun wrote in message <3D06647B.C565F4B5_at_oracle.com>...
> >Jonathan
> >
> >compatible=9.2.0.0.0, again it's not a production or whatever
> >database I just planned to do some other testing and created
> >it like that.
> >
> >The original question of Howard was how to make "artificial"
> >'create tablespace system'... I answered that it's possible
> >to do it when you create a database. So, I do not want to
> >tell that it's better to have it DICTIONARY managed, I just
> >want to tell that it's possible to create it like that.
> >
> >Just curious, do you experience any problems when you create
> >database like that?
> >
> >P.S.: Thanks for you book, it's very good one!!!
> >
> >Kind Regards,
> >--
> >Vladimir Begun
> >The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and
> >do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

If you want to free up some room dump all of the tutorials, demos, and help files and get them off the CD when you need them.

I freed up more than 800MB after a 9i install be deleting everything with the following extensions:

.html
.doc
.pdf
.ico
.wav
.avi

Is there any chance that any of you with influence at Oracle could get them to build a switch into the installation program that would allow all of this material to be left on the CD during the installation? I really don't need sample movies, C++ and Cobol files on my DASD every time I install. I suspect I am not alone.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Jun 12 2002 - 10:22:43 CDT