Re: text fuzzy seach on sentences

From: Alexander Strouk <alexs_at_genesyslab.com>
Date: 11 Jun 2002 21:54:32 -0700

pmercier_at_telelingua.com (philippe mercier) wrote in message news:<c77d3e62.0206070810.22131960_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi
>
> I have a database with tables that contain sentences.
>
> if I have for example a record with the text "the house is white" in a
> table
>
> I want to know if i can locate this record by typing for example "the
> house is blue" ? if yes, how.
>
> So in fact, I want the system to look for records that match 80% of my
> words (or another percentage).
>
> I could also type "the appartment is white" and I want the system to
> find "the house is white" record since there is only one word
> difference. Or "the appartment is blue" should also find and tell me
> that there is a 60% match for example...
>
> can this be done with oracle, how?
>
> thanks
> philippe mercier

GuyZ are right. Intermedia/Text 8.x/9.x. I've just wanted to mention that you have to process the text (REGEXP) at the application level: i.e. you won't find "the house is white" if you look for "the house is blue" :) But you will find it, if you use "house AND (white OR blue)" etc...etc...
Intermedia is very powerful search engine, but you should do some work first.

Alexander Received on Tue Jun 11 2002 - 23:54:32 CDT