Re: The demise of the Oracle professional?

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:19:57 GMT

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> "Nuno Souto" <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote in message
> > In article <ae56fm$4167m$1_at_ID-87429.news.dfncis.de>, you said (and I
> > quote):
> > >
> > > "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>

> > > J2EE is a superset of 3-tier architecture.
> > > What's your question?
> >

> > I've got a funny feeling he means: you can NOT claim as a J2EE advantage
> > a bucket load of features that have NOTHING to do with J2EE.
> > But then again, I may be wrong and we're speaking marketish, not
> > English...

> Damn you've got me sussed Nuno! The above arguments apply equally well to
> dotnet or just good old fashioned app servers. I'd also argue with the
> statement that client server isn't good enough any more. we know it (mostly)
> works so any replacement architecture has to deal with real problems as
> experienced by real organisations. for example in many many organisations
> dynamic redeployment is just a non issue you just do it in your scheduled
> maintenance window since most orgs are not in any way 24/7 (except in the 7
> hours a day 24 days a month sense). Hell, even the major banks shut down
> customer facing systems for maintenance on a reasonably regular basis
> (though I'm too old to be using ATM's at 4am these days so I don't care).
>

> Good luck with the medics anyway Nuno.
>

> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK

I'm in complete agreement about Client-Server. The only failing I've seen in the architecture so far can be summarized by the following statements:

  1. Some people couldn't implement a stack of 3x5 cards and this is no different
  2. Software companys see financial opportunity in changing the paradigm again

That said I am glad to have things moving to the net.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Jun 11 2002 - 17:19:57 CDT