Re: status quo of a oracle installation

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:56:50 +0200

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:02:44 +0200, "fabienne hadkova" <fh_at_q-bus.com> wrote:

>Hello
>I don't know if this is the right newsgroup to post to so sorry if it's
>wrong.
>I must go to a company next week and I have 4 hours to find out all I can
>about the installation and environment of an oracle server. The company I
>work for should provide support and we need to know how everything is set
>up.
>I will have the system and sys password and collect all informations I want.
>Sofar, I can think about checking the init<SID>ora, make a few queries on
>the dba-tables, see how many instances are running, search for any kind of
>automated scripts, procedures.
>I don't know the version yet (it might be 7) running on a nt-server.
>I am a (very) beginning dba with (very) little practical experience. Since I
>work only on Linux and AIX machines, I don't know if there is something
>special I should consider because it is set up on NT.Could anybody help me
>and point me to anything that I should be checking when I go there?
>Thanks
>Fabienne

I have such a list, which is quite detailed, but which I can't disclose here, as I made it for my company and it should be considered company property.
However, you should be warned. I have been and still am visiting sites that usually have been installed by a network administrator, and look like a bomb has fallen on it.
I will mention a few critical points here - the database should *not* be installed on a Primary Domain Controller or a Backup Domain Controller. It should be installed on an ordinary server
- the server should have a fixed IP -address, not a DHCP - address (people with NT knowledge : don't laugh. Recently I inspected a server with 3 network cards, 1 one of them with a fixed IP address, the other two with a DHCP address, but no DHCP server was available in the network. This resulted in an error message every 2 minutes - IP forwarding should be turned off
- the Server service should have the memory optimized for network access, *NOT* for file sharing purposes. - Usually the complete database (including files that should have been mirrored) is installed in one directory and definitely on one single drive, that drive is usually a member of a RAID-5 array - the database should have been installed using the local administrator account.
- User manager should have a *local* group called ora_dba, or connect / as sysdba will not work.
- sqlnet.ora sqlnet.authentication_services should read sqlnet.authentication_services = (NTS)

I believe the NT specific doco is still online at OTN, usually that is also a good checklist.

This are some NT-related issues, the init.ora parameters are basically judged using the Unixes criteria.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Jun 11 2002 - 16:56:50 CDT