Re: The demise of the Oracle professional?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:48:36 +0100

"Nuno Souto" <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:3d061ea1$0$28004$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> In article <ae56fm$4167m$1_at_ID-87429.news.dfncis.de>, you said (and I
> quote):
> >
> > "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>

> > > Seems to me that that is an argument for n-tier (where n = 3
> > > <vbg>) architecture 3-tier is not the same as j2ee.
> >
> > J2EE is a superset of 3-tier architecture.
> > What's your question?

> I've got a funny feeling he means: you can NOT claim as a J2EE advantage
> a bucket load of features that have NOTHING to do with J2EE.
> But then again, I may be wrong and we're speaking marketish, not
> English...

Damn you've got me sussed Nuno! The above arguments apply equally well to dotnet or just good old fashioned app servers. I'd also argue with the statement that client server isn't good enough any more. we know it (mostly) works so any replacement architecture has to deal with real problems as experienced by real organisations. for example in many many organisations dynamic redeployment is just a non issue you just do it in your scheduled maintenance window since most orgs are not in any way 24/7 (except in the 7 hours a day 24 days a month sense). Hell, even the major banks shut down customer facing systems for maintenance on a reasonably regular basis (though I'm too old to be using ATM's at 4am these days so I don't care).

Good luck with the medics anyway Nuno.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA