Re: oracle export fails by files larger than 2GB

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:34:36 +0200

"Imprecise" <f_puhan_at_precise.com> wrote in message news:f_puhan-9E3CFE.14405511062002_at_vienna7.his.com...
> In article <ae4pmj$ilr$1_at_news2.dtag.de>,
> "Markus Böhmer" <boehmerm_at_gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi Ladies,
> >
> > I have a little problem.
> > I must make a full export of our database and the export utility always
> > crashes after the export file has exactely 2GB.
> > I don't understand this.
> > We use oracle 8.1.5 on solaris 5.8.
> > The operating system supports files larger that 2GB and the oracle
> > documentation says that oracle 8.1.5 on an 64 bit operating system can
> > handle export files larger than 2GB.
>
> This used to be a limitation of the 'exp' program itself. The
> workaround (on earlier versions of Oracle, or on file systems that
> didn't support large files) was to use a named pipe to export the data,
> and use gzip or compress to write the pipe data to a compressed file.
>
> Alternatively, you can use the 'split' command to write the export into
> a series of 1000MB files. Below is a copy of notes I took a couple of
> years ago about this. I think it still applies:
>
> ----8<----8<----8<----
>
> # Create new Named pipes.
>
> mknod -p /dev/split_pipe
>
> mknod -p /dev/compress_pipe # You can use the existing named pipe
> # itself, instead of creating new.

> Create a shell script named Split_export.sh
>
> # -b1000m indicates to split command to split the input file into every
> # 1000 MB size.
>
> # As it splits, the split command will suffix aa, ab, ac, ad ... upto zz
> # to the file name specified.
>
> # The export file name is expfile.
>
> nohup split -b1000m < /dev/split_pipe > /DumpDir/expfile &
>
> nohup compress < /dev/compress_pipe > /dev/split_pipe &
>
> exp username/password full=y file=/dev/compress_pipe and other
> parameters for export.

> After saving the above three commands in split_export.sh, execute the
> following.
>
> chmod a+x split_export.sh
>
> nohup split_export.sh > /tmp/split_export.log 1>&2 &

> After a few minutes you should see files in the export dump directory.
>
> --
> The underscore character does not belong in my address. You know the
drill...
> ***
> Anyone sufficiently smart enough to configure and use USEnet for research
should
> be smart enough to Read The Freakin' Documentation!

The above evidently is correct. *BUT* there are situation even a compressed export is larger than 2G (I am on 32 bit so it is file system limit too). In Oracle 8i you can export to multiple files, by using the filesize= parameter and multiple file= parameters. Evidently you need to use those also on import.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA