Re: oracle export fails by files larger than 2GB

From: Imprecise <f_puhan_at_precise.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:40:55 -0400

In article <ae4pmj$ilr$1_at_news2.dtag.de>,  "Markus Böhmer" <boehmerm_at_gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Ladies,
>
> I have a little problem.
> I must make a full export of our database and the export utility always
> crashes after the export file has exactely 2GB.
> I don't understand this.
> We use oracle 8.1.5 on solaris 5.8.
> The operating system supports files larger that 2GB and the oracle
> documentation says that oracle 8.1.5 on an 64 bit operating system can
> handle export files larger than 2GB.

This used to be a limitation of the 'exp' program itself. The workaround (on earlier versions of Oracle, or on file systems that didn't support large files) was to use a named pipe to export the data, and use gzip or compress to write the pipe data to a compressed file.

Alternatively, you can use the 'split' command to write the export into a series of 1000MB files. Below is a copy of notes I took a couple of years ago about this. I think it still applies:

----8<----8<----8<----

# Create new Named pipes.

mknod -p /dev/split_pipe

mknod -p /dev/compress_pipe # You can use the existing named pipe

                          # itself, instead of creating new.

Create a shell script named Split_export.sh

# -b1000m indicates to split command to split the input file into every # 1000 MB size.

# As it splits, the split command will suffix aa, ab, ac, ad ... upto zz # to the file name specified.

# The export file name is expfile.

nohup split -b1000m < /dev/split_pipe > /DumpDir/expfile &

nohup compress < /dev/compress_pipe > /dev/split_pipe &

exp username/password full=y file=/dev/compress_pipe and other

    parameters for export.

After saving the above three commands in split_export.sh, execute the following.

chmod a+x split_export.sh

nohup split_export.sh > /tmp/split_export.log 1>&2 &

After a few minutes you should see files in the export dump directory.
--
The underscore character does not belong in my address. You know the drill...
***