Re: Oracle Myths

From: Vladimir Begun <Vladimir.Begun_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:04:01 -0700

Hemant K Chitale wrote:

> Vladimir,
>
> Could you post your CREATE DATABASE
> statement to prove it ?
>
> Hemant

Sure I can. Yesterday I posted it to Howard. It's a copy.

Howard

> As I said elsewhere: I'll buy this, if someone will explain to me
> how I can make SYSTEM dictionary managed.

I can. Please use:

CREATE DATABASE yourdbname
DATAFILE '...system01.dbf' SIZE xM REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT xK ...

Sure it does not have create tablespace but create datafile...

Oracle8 Server SQL Reference or
Oracle9i SQL Reference Release 2 (9.2)
CREATE DATABASE statement

DATAFILE Clause

Specify one or more files to be used as datafiles. All these files become part of the SYSTEM tablespace.

Just decided to create it for some other testing, but...

alert_vbtest.log:
WARNING: Default passwords for SYS and SYSTEM will be used.

         Please change the passwords.
Mon Jun 10 19:08:47 2002
create tablespace SYSTEM datafile
'D:\oracle\oradata\vbtest\system01.dbf'
SIZE 250M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 10240K MAXSIZE UNLIMITED default storage (initial 10K next 10K) EXTENT MANAGEMENT DICTIONARY online

SQL> SELECT * FROM v$version;

BANNER

Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production PL/SQL Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
CORE 9.2.0.1.0 Production
TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production NLSRTL Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production

SQL> SELECT tablespace_name, extent_management FROM dba_tablespaces;

TABLESPACE_NAME                EXTENT_MAN
------------------------------ ----------
SYSTEM                         DICTIONARY
UNDOTBS1                       LOCAL
TEMP                           LOCAL
CWMLITE                        LOCAL
DRSYS                          LOCAL
EXAMPLE                        LOCAL
INDX                           LOCAL
ODM                            LOCAL
TOOLS                          LOCAL
USERS                          LOCAL
XDB                            LOCAL

Kind Regards,

--
Vladimir Begun
The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and