Re: Oracle Instance Failed to start

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 11 Jun 2002 08:23:54 -0700

In article <ae3jdf$qi7$1_at_clematis.singnet.com.sg>, "Seow says...

>Hi all,
>
>After I installed Oracle 9i release 2 over release 1. My database instance
>cannot start
>(the database is created in 9i release 1). The alert log shows :
>
>Errors in file d:\oracle\admin\ccseow\udump\ccseow_ora_1444.trc:
>ORA-10827: database must be opened with MIGRATE option
>
>Error 10827 happened during db open, shutting down database
>USER: terminating instance due to error 10827
>Instance terminated by USER, pid = 1444
>ORA-1092 signalled during: ALTER DATABASE OPEN...
>
>I tried to put in migrate parameter in startup command but it was not valid.

It looks like you installed over the top of the existing kernel, maybe for space reasons. I've always suggested a completely clean install to address problems like this. Either remove the 9.0.1 software completely first (choose Deinstall products from the installer screen) or install 9.2 in a separate ORACLE_HOME, if you have enough room to have both at once. At the moment it looks like you have an awful mixture of both releases. There are some notes on Metalink on how to completely remove Oracle without the installer (which is what you're probably going to have to do here). Remove the kernel completely (without touching the database files) and then reinstall 9.2 and follow the migration documentation. It may or may not work now, since you've mucked up the previous install, but you DID take a backup before the upgrade, didn't you?

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Tue Jun 11 2002 - 10:23:54 CDT