Re: Advantages of loading sorted data into large oracle tables

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:32:08 +1000

In article <uga0ga1tpnh9e_at_corp.supernews.com>, you said (and I quote):
> I was involved in a DW project - the accepted "best practices" of this IT
> consulting firm was to use Syncsort to pre-agregate ang load tables that
> would be used as a basis for MV (on prebuilt table)

Hehehe! This reminds me of the "expert architect" from IBM-GSA who sustained we should off-load data from Oracle, sort it with syncsort, then upload it again for reporting. According to him Sun had "guaranteed" that syncsort would be much faster.

Of course, the small matter of off-loading 60Gb of result-set denormalized data, putting it through syncsort in flat files and then uploading and re-indexing the same 60Gb was a *m-i-n-o-r* overlooked detail...

And people wonder why I like the Sun "gurus" so much!

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto