Re: Oracle Myths

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:27:49 +1000

In article <f369a0eb.0206101053.4489ea03_at_posting.google.com>, you said (and I quote):

> So it's sqlldr followed by some simple database processing.

Exactly. There is also the small matter of 5000 on-line users looking at the latest data and trying to adjust account parameters or reporting on what-if scenarios. That is handled by MTS and some VERY NIFTY multi-tier client-server apps.

> Makes more sense
> now. In a lot of shops merge and purge alone would take a few hours for 30GB
> data. The horsepower these guys have makes a difference too. Thanks for the
> information.

No worries. Without a doubt the "heavy artillery" helps. Wouldn't be seen dead anywhere near a system like this with a 4-CPU NT box... ;-)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto