Re: OS 33 & 221 with REDO LOGS

From: Kyle <kyle_at_gadgets.co.nz.nospam>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 09:52:39 +1200

Thanks for that. No, oodles of space.
I removed the duplicate logs and the database still crashed. I have just heard back from Oracle and received the note I have attached. I have rebuilt the three control files and am keeping an eye on it. Interesting how all three seemed "corrupt". This seems to be a problem relating to NT4.0 (piece of junk OS). Trying to convince for a Linux replacement, but it looks like it may be Win2K.

Thanks for your info. Please keep those ideas flowing as Oracle's document was 20 pages of a whole lot of fixes, but no answer to what is actually wrong.

Questions on TAR:
<Note:145452.1> Database Crash with errors in alert.log, ORA-00206, ORA-00202, on metalink. Please check.

Are all control files / database files residing on the local server or across a network?
What type of disk system are you using?

EXTRACTED the notes from metalink below: fact: Oracle Server - Enterprise Edition

     fact: MS Windows NT 4.0
     symptom: Database crashes
     symptom: ORA-00206: error in writing control file (name) block
(num), #
     blocks (num)
     symptom: ORA-00202: control file: (name)
     symptom: ORA-27072: skgfdisp: I/O error
     symptom: OSD-04008: WriteFile() failure, unable to write to file
     symptom: O/S-Error: (OS 33) The process cannot access the file
because
     another process has locked a portion of the file
     symptom: Using multiple control files
     cause: Oracle working with expected behavior. Somehow the CONTROL
FILES got
     corrupted and Oracle could not read the blocks. The problem could
be attributed
     to incomplete writes happening to the controlfiles during the time
of crash.

All the best,
Kyle