Re: The demise of the Oracle professional?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:17:40 +0100

"VWP914" <vwp914_at_aol.com> wrote in message news:20020610075330.05060.00000604_at_mb-cq.aol.com...
> #1 What is with all the SUN bashing? They make a damn fine product.
Their
> servers are like rocks. Heck, even their workstations are rock solid.

I haven't seen a whole lot of SUN bashing. However being a good hardware company does not necessarily make a good software company.

> #2 If Java and J2EE is so dead, then why does Microsoft have its own
attempt
> at the same called .NET?

Business Analysts and "Technical Architects" have been selling n-tier for a while now. Makes sense that a software company would want in on the act. Having said that I'll predict that *nix shops will go j2ee and ms shops will go .net and the two will not coexist even though both 'adhere' to 'standards'. Web services will be shown up for the overhyped pipe dream that it is and orgs will settle for their devs and suppliers creating apps that occasionally talk to each other on a read only basis. maybe. if the users are properly controlled and don't assume the product works the way they want not the way the spec says.

> #3 Java is alive and well on the server side. If you guys' prediction of
Java
> being dead is true, then Oracle might just as well be dead. Oracle put
Java
> EVERYWHERE in their product.

SQL and PL/SQL is everywhere. Java is used surprisingly sparingly.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA