SELECT COUNT(APPROXIMATELY *) FROM a WHERE b=c;

From: Monty <mmontreaux_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Jun 2002 06:32:33 -0700

Hello, every now and then I go to a website, perform a search, and it comes back and says "found APPROXIMATELY ? records".

A case in point is "http://asktom.oracle.com" (click on Search/Archives, type in something in the search box, and press go) and I am probably not wrong in assuming there is an Oracle database behind this web site.

How can an SQL search be formulated to find approximately the number of hits (which I'm assuming is just a quick preview of a very large database with a query before actually doing the 'real' query) ?

Monty Received on Mon Jun 10 2002 - 08:32:33 CDT