Re: I ***think*** Janathan has a virus

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:53:32 +0400

Ever heard of Klez? This is exactly its propagation scheme - receiving it from somebody does not mean that somebody indeed sent it - Klez sends itself out using records in victim's address book for disguise. Thus, if someone had Jonathan's e-mail in his address book and was infected by Klez, this email among others was randomly used to fill the From: header of outbound emails. Klez also randomly attaches harmless files from the victim's system to the message to further disguise itself (and this can lead to publication of confidential information if the attached file was somewhat secret...)

I'd recommend you to update your antivirus sigs and scan your own system asap, as Klez has several installation methods and one of them could succeed on your system (unless you are using mailx or something like that - if it is an unpatched Outlook [Express], you're in danger). If you do not have any antivirus running, you're in trouble.